The Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Commission (BGLC) is conducting a public consultation on November 20 (today), as it continues considering proposals to implement fresh regulations for the marketing and advertising of gambling and gambling-related products in Jamaica. The event will supplement data already compiled in an online e-survey, which can be accessed at www.bglcconsultation.com.
The BGLC said it is aware that research conducted by gambling regulators in other parts of the world have shown a clear link between marketing and advertising and risk to customers. However, the commission said it also recognizes that the type and level of risk will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, “so rules and controls applied need to be proportionate and relevant to the gambling market in Jamaica”.
The BGLC said the recently commissioned research revealed that:
- Children and youth are aware of and engaging in gambling-related activities to a greater extent and in greater numbers than previously thought;
- Most of the awareness about gambling is as a direct result of marketing and advertising of gambling and gambling-related products;
- An overwhelming majority of respondents are not fully aware of the risks related to gambling; and
- There is a sentiment that marketing communications are misleading and do not highlight the risks related to gambling.
“All stakeholders, including consumers, betting, gambling, and lottery operators and members of the public are invited to share their views on these proposals in the consultation online,” the BGLC said.
“The public may choose to respond to any or all the questions. All responses will be considered. Names of individuals or the organisations they are responding on behalf of will be published on the commission’s website as part of the published responses to this consultation,” the regulator said.
The BGLC said its commitment to transparency and accountability in the gambling sector is encouraging this “widest possible participation from the respective groups before proposing and introducing new controls to ensure that customers are better protected and the young not unduly exposed”.
- Galaxy Gaming® and Pragmatic Play Expand Licensing Agreement
- Finnplay Simultaneously Releases Mobile Apps for Hungarian and Dutch Markets
- Salsa Technology Launches Salsa Safe, a Dedicated Platform for iGaming Regulators
- Swintt uncovers subterranean riches in Heart of Earth Deluxe
- ⚡Bitcoin Lightning payments in a major AAA game 🎮
- OnAir Entertainment Launches Travel Fever: A Game Show Revolution
- PRAGMATIC PLAY TURNS CANDY-FILLED ADVENTURE INTO WINTER WONDERLAND IN SUGAR RUSH XMAS
- Unlocking Rows feature adds bonus thrills in Playson’s Fire Temple: Hold and Win
- SIS-Owned 49’s and Inspired Entertainment to Provide Upgraded Virtual Horse and Greyhound Racing Products
- Dive into winter seas with Blueprint Gaming’s first-ever festive slot Crabbin’ for Christmas Jackpot King
- Plunder your way to magical prizes in 3 Oaks Gaming’s Olaf Viking: Hold and Win
- Wazdan reimagines classic in Black Horse™ Cash Out Edition
- Spillemyndigheden Issues DKK100,000 in Fines for Illegal Games Advertising
- MGA Issues New Guidelines for Processes Related to Gaming Devices
- Jackpot Digital Receives License to Install Three Jackpot Blitz(R) ETGs at Jackson Rancheria Casino Resort in California
Recent Slot Releases3 weeks ago
Unearth an eruption of treasure in 3 Oaks Gaming’s Grab More Gold!
Africa4 weeks ago
Nigerian FG Proposes Introduction of Tax Scheme on Sports Betting
Africa4 weeks ago
Shape Games Establishes Presence in Africa with SunBet Partnership
Australia4 weeks ago
SBS to Let Streaming Viewers Block Gambling, Alcohol and Fast-food Ads
Malta4 weeks ago
Bragg is attending the SiGMA Europe, Malta 2023
Compliance Updates3 weeks ago
Ukraine’s Evolving Gambling Landscape: Insights from the Panel of European Gaming Congress in Warsaw
Central Europe4 weeks ago
Hungarian Lottery goes live with OddsMatrix sportsbook & platform services
Africa3 weeks ago
EGT Installs its Gaming Equipments at Grand Palace Casino in Cameroon