Connect with us

Australia

Changes to Tipping Off Offence Came into Effect in Australia

Published

on

changes-to-tipping-off-offence-came-into-effect-in-australia
Reading Time: 2 minutes

 

Businesses and individuals bound by the tipping off offence must now consider whether a disclosure could be expected to prejudice an investigation, under changes to the AML/CTF laws that came into force on March 31.

The changes to the offence, which carries a maximum penalty of around $39,000 or up to 2 years in prison, are now focussed on the harms that could flow from a disclosure.

AUSTRAC CEO, Mr Brendan Thomas, said the change is part of AML/CTF reforms passed late last year to expand and simplify the legislation.

Advertisement
Prague Gaming & TECH Summit 2025 (25-26 March)

“The previous legislation was almost 20 years old and a lot has changed in that time,” Mr Thomas said.

“AUSTRAC is about to usher in 100,000 new businesses to the regime next year and they too will be subject to the tipping off offence.

“The change to the offence is about balancing intelligence gathering with practicality to ensure we can all get the best outcome – identifying criminal activity and driving money laundering out of legitimate businesses.

“We need businesses to work with us to detect illicit transactions – tipping off risks criminals getting a heads up. Criminals can then take action to hide or disguise their illegal activities. However, we know that effective information sharing within and between businesses helps stop money laundering.”

Businesses and individuals covered by the AML/CTF legislation, including banks, casinos, remitters and money lenders, are now prohibited from disclosing certain information to another person (other than AUSTRAC), only where it would or could reasonably be expected to prejudice an investigation.

Advertisement
Prague Gaming & TECH Summit 2025 (25-26 March)

“The move to a focus on harms strikes a better balance between protecting law enforcement investigations and allowing industry to collaborate in fighting money laundering, terrorism financing and other serious crimes.”

While the tipping off offence changes from March 31, most of the obligations under the amended AML/CTF Act will not come into effect until 2026, when entities in real estate, accounting, precious stones and metals and digital assets come under AUSTRAC’s remit.

The post Changes to Tipping Off Offence Came into Effect in Australia appeared first on European Gaming Industry News.

Australia

Vanguard Overwatch Announces New Partnership Deal with McAtamney & Advisors

Published

on

vanguard-overwatch-announces-new-partnership-deal-with-mcatamney-&-advisors
Reading Time: < 1 minute

 

Vanguard Overwatch and McAtamney & Advisors have announced a strategic partnership that brings together leading expertise in anti-money laundering (AML), safer gambling and regulatory strategy to deliver tailored, end-to-end solutions for gambling operators and regulators navigating complex, high-stakes environments.

Vanguard Overwatch is a specialist advisory firm dedicated to advancing gambling-related public policy and regulatory excellence, strengthening industry capability and helping clients navigate complex regulatory environments.

This formal collaboration expands the reach of Vanguard Overwatch’s pioneering Accreditation Programme, which delivers independent assurance and practical insights to uplift capability, demonstrate leadership and mitigate compliance risks.

Advertisement
Prague Gaming & TECH Summit 2025 (25-26 March)

Built around eight foundational pillars, the programme provides a structured evaluation of governance, AML/CTF processes, safer gambling practices and organisational culture—equipping venues and online operators to meet evolving regulatory expectations with confidence.

Paul Newson, principal at Vanguard Overwatch, said: “This partnership significantly enhances our ability to support clients navigating regulatory complexity and scrutiny. Together, we’re delivering sharp, independent analysis and tailored strategic advice that helps operators meet their obligations, protect their reputation, and drive better social and economic outcomes.”

James McAtamney, managing director of McAtamney & Advisors, has been appointed a principal at Vanguard Overwatch as part of the partnership.

He said: “We’re proud to align with Vanguard Overwatch to support operators in building high-performing compliance systems and engaging confidently with regulators. Our combined capabilities create a powerful platform to support clients across strategy, licensing, AML/CTF, and safer gambling.”

Both firms are active contributors to sector reform and participate in key industry and policy forums, including Regulating the Game and the International Association of Gaming Regulators. The partnership will also support the development of new service offerings, including rapid AML and safer gambling health checks and bespoke regulatory support for operators under pressure.

Advertisement
Prague Gaming & TECH Summit 2025 (25-26 March)

The post Vanguard Overwatch Announces New Partnership Deal with McAtamney & Advisors appeared first on European Gaming Industry News.

Continue Reading

Australia

Betting provider fined $60,000 for illegal gambling ads

Published

on

betting-provider-fined-$60,000-for-illegal-gambling-ads
Reading Time: < 1 minute

The penalty was imposed by a Magistrate at Downing Centre Local Court on 31 March, after determining that the ads failed to meet standards of decency, dignity and good taste.

The breaches, published by Ryman Racing’s sub-brand PuntHub in October 2023, involved five posts across Facebook and Instagram.

Under the Betting and Racing Act 1998, gambling ads which are accessible to persons in NSW must adhere to strict requirements designed to protect the community from inappropriate content and potential gambling harm.

Liquor & Gaming NSW (L&GNSW) Acting Executive Director of Regulatory Operations, Bernadette Beard, said the decision highlights the consequences of breaching the state’s gambling advertising laws.

Advertisement
Prague Gaming & TECH Summit 2025 (25-26 March)

“This is the first time a wagering operator in NSW has been prosecuted and convicted for publishing ads which offend standards of decency, dignity and good taste,” she said.

“L&GNSW actively monitors gambling advertising across all platforms and will not hesitate to take enforcement action where necessary.

“This is a serious penalty. I would urge betting providers take note and ensure the standards in the Act are being met in their advertising.”

The public can report concerns about gambling advertising via the L&GNSW website.

The post Betting provider fined $60,000 for illegal gambling ads appeared first on European Gaming Industry News.

Advertisement
Prague Gaming & TECH Summit 2025 (25-26 March)
Continue Reading

Australia

The Star licence suspension extended for six months

Published

on

the-star-licence-suspension-extended-for-six-months
Reading Time: < 1 minute

 

The NSW Independent Casino Commission has today notified The Star that its licence will remain suspended and the NICC-appointed Manager, Mr Nick Weeks, will continue to have oversight of casino operations until at least 30 September 2025, at which time the NICC will reassess The Star’s suitability to regain its casino licence.

Mr Weeks’ role was due to expire on 31 March and the NICC sought submissions from both The Star and the Manager in relation to The Star’s suitability to hold a casino license in NSW.

In its submissions The Star accepted that the Manager should remain in place for a further six months while remediation continues, and The Star implements measures to secure its finances.

Advertisement
Prague Gaming & TECH Summit 2025 (25-26 March)

NICC Chief Commissioner, Mr Philip Crawford said that the submissions demonstrated steady improvements in The Star’s remediation but uncertainty around The Star’s financial situation meant that progress was slow, and The Star’s licence suspension should remain in effect.

“We welcome progress in The Star’s remediation efforts and are confident the company is moving in the right direction with its remediation plans,” Mr Crawford said.

“The next six months is a critical phase for The Star as it will need to show further progress with its remediation activities whilst also stabilising its finances.”

The extension of Mr Weeks’ role as Manager will allow The Star to operate gaming facilities while its licence remains suspended.

 

Advertisement
Prague Gaming & TECH Summit 2025 (25-26 March)

The post The Star licence suspension extended for six months appeared first on European Gaming Industry News.

Continue Reading

Trending

Offering comprehensive coverage on all aspects of the gaming sector, our daily posts include online and land-based gaming, betting, esports, regulatory and compliance updates, and technological advancements. Regular features encompass daily news articles, press releases, exclusive interviews, and insightful event reports.

The platform also hosts industry-relevant webinars, and provides detailed reports, making it a one-stop resource for anyone seeking information about operators, suppliers, regulators, and professional services in the European gaming market. The portal's primary goal is to keep its extensive reader base updated on the latest happenings, trends, and developments within the gaming and gambling sector, with an emphasis on the European market while also covering pertinent global news. It's an indispensable resource for gaming professionals, operators, and enthusiasts alike.

Contact us: [email protected]

Editorial / PR Submissions: [email protected]

Copyright © 2015 - 2024 - Gaming News Room is part of HIPTHER Agency. Registered in Romania under Proshirt SRL, Company number: 2134306, EU VAT ID: RO21343605. Office address: Blvd. 1 Decembrie 1918 nr.5, Targu Mures, Romania