The Twitch.tv platform has been wholeheartedly embraced by gamers of all types since launch – including PC-gamers, console players, as well as poker players and slots players looking for big-wins.
Poker streamers in particular have taken Twitch by storm, setting and breaking new records and bringing the game of poker to millions of viewers worldwide. The magic of online poker is that there is no house edge- and that skillful players can win in the long-run.
There’s no shortage of talented live and online poker players out there willing to show you the ropes – for free – on Twitch.
Poker fans enjoyed watching over 7,000,000 hours of poker in March 2021.
Twitch began as a streaming platform for video gamers, but has morphed into a platform where there’s a category for almost everything – including casino and gambling games like slots , and poker. It’s really easy to get set up on Twitch from a desktop PC or mobile, making it easy for players to share their gaming experience with viewers and supporters worldwide. Twitch is funded by 9 investors. Thrive Capital and Nelstone Ventures are the most recent investors.
Poker tournaments run daily, but Sunday is the day where the big buy-in “Sunday Majors” take place – with qualifier tournaments (a.k.a. satellites) running or direct buy in, and offering eye-watering, multi million dollar prizes + bragging rights for winners – millionaires are made on Sundays – and you can watch, learn and enjoy the sweat on Twitch.
26.5 MILLION visitors come to Twitch every day, with 93 BILLION minutes watched per month
Many poker players and poker fans watch poker streams for entertainment, but there’s a learning aspect too.
- Standing on the shoulders of giants – some of the best poker players in the world showing and explaining their plays and thought processes for hours on end.
- A Goldmine of +EV information – anything that improves your ‘edge’ in the poker games with no investment other than time is good.
- Free and always available
- Be part of a community – viewers and channel supporters can often enjoy added value private / exclusive community games and promotions with popular streamers.
“By following Twitch streams, you can get insight from top players’ thinking processes. For this, you’d have to pay hundreds of dollars on poker training sites. Entirely free on Twitch – crazy but true!”
-‘Arvain’, Beasts of Poker -Pro
March 2021 Twitch Poker Streaming Key Statistics
- Hours of poker watched on Twitch : 7,011,830 (+16.8%)
- Hours of poker broadcast 96,550 (-10.8%) (interestingly the Slots category on Twitch trumped poker in March, with 117,162 hours broadcast)
- Average Monthly viewers 9,437 (+ 5.5%)
- Average Poker channels: 129 (-19.9% )
- Viewer ratio 72.6 (+30.9%)
- Max viewers 86,549 (+4.8%)
- Poker Broadcasters 5,429 (+5.8% on February with 299 new streamers)
- Lowest # of channels : 40 (Monday 15th March)
- Peak Channels: 393 (Sunday 21st March)
- Peak Twitch Poker Viewers in March: 84,347
English, Russian, French, Portugese, Spanish, German and Italian were the most popular languages streamed during March, with English language used in ~ 45% of all streams.
Top Poker Streamers March 2021
The top streamers in March are all partnered with Twitch.tv except Winamax Poker. The Runitup channel gained the most followers (2902) in poker on Twitch during the month while streaming poker.
Source: Beasts of Poker Twitch Report